Whoop that’s it school’s out for summer (or it will be come 3pm)! It’s a long one this year too at nearly 7 weeks long. We’ve got some things already booked, the children are doing a couple of days at forest school and Aria is also doing a week’s intensive swimming course.
Last year was quite hard work with a new baby in tow and still recovering from a ruptured stomach ulcer and being very anaemic. There were a lot of things I couldn’t manage with the children and had to cancel as I would just be too poorly by the end of the day. Also just before we went on our holiday, my husband managed to herniate himself and needed surgery too. So this year I am hoping for an easier, fun and more carefree time.
For the last couple of years, just before the summer holidays I like to sit down with the children and ask them what they would like to do during their big summer break. While we all know at times the summer holidays can get a little fraught, I for the most part love having the time off with my children and know there will come a time where they’re too cool to hang out with me, so I want to make the most of them. We don’t always achieve everything on the list, and that’s ok. But it’s nice to have some things to aim for and for me to know what the children would really like to do too.
Here is what they have said they would like to do this summer, with a little input from me too:
- Aria – have her nails painted and make her make her own jewellery kit she got for her birthday
- Aria – have her ears pierced
- Go to Wales on holiday (all booked)
- Do a Lego set with Daddy
- Take part in the library’s summer reading challenge
- Go to Legoland
- Have an ice cream
- Meet up with cousins
- Go to the park
- Aria – learn how to ride her bike without stabilisers
- Have a playdate with NCT friends
- Logan – have a nerf war with his cousin
- Have a chill out day
- Go to California country park
- Go for an explore and play in the woods
- Make sail boats
- Visit the children’s Great Grandma
- Go to the zoo
- Make cookies or cakes
- Have a picnic
- Play with bubbles in the garden
- Build a sandcastle
- Paddle in the sea
This is our list for the summer holidays. I really hope that we can fit it all in! What do you want to do this summer?
If you are looking for some ideas and live local to us in the Bracknell and Ascot area, check back next week for my annual post on summer activities going on in the local area.