Our Family Christmas Traditions
I have seen a few bloggers writing about their Christmas traditions and it seems like such a nice thing to share. We have a mix of traditions, things we have carried on because our parents did them with us, things that kind of evolved and became a tradition almost without us thinking about them and this year I have put in a couple of traditions that I would like to start with the children. Plus a few things I would like to do with my children in the future.
Things That Our Parents Did With Us
- Stockings placed outside our bedroom door and then in the morning after Santa has been everyone gets in our bed and all of our stockings are opened in our bed together.
- Read The Night Before Christmas at bedtime on Christmas Eve to the children.
- Make a homemade Christmas cake and mince pies together in the run up to Christmas.
Traditions That Have Naturally Evolved
- Both my husband and I used to to take a day off work and go Christmas shopping when we worked. We have tried to carry on this tradition where we can around children. The day out always a lovely lunch out and I’m not sure how this happened but a chocolate mouse from Thorntons!
- Christmas advent train – My aunt bought my son a Christmas advent train which has little drawers to put little presents or chocolates in during the run up to Christmas. This is normally a mix of stickers or chocolate or last year I got some very mini dinosaurs. I hope to do this for my daughter too next year.
- Donating something to someone in need each year. It started with a shoebox appeal, and now each year my children and I create a box or buy a gift for someone less fortunate that us. Last year we chose a gift for a little boy in a hospice, this year we have put together a box of things for a women’s refuge. The last two years we have also done a special shop and bought some items specifically for the food bank.
Traditions We Have Started
- Everyone gets a stocking, even Mums and Dads – before we had children my husband and I didn’t really do each other a stocking but I really enjoy the whole family getting one from Father Christmas
- This year I am introducing a Christmas Eve box because I have seen other people do this and I think it’s a really lovely idea. I am putting pyjamas, a book, a DVD and hot chocolate in it for my children.
- Going to the children’s service at our local church on Christmas Eve, it’s so lovely to sing carols and feel Christmassy.
- Make thank you cards to send to all of the people who have bought my children gifts.
- Visit a Santa’s grotto.
Things I Want To Do In The Future
- Save up and go on holiday to Lapland, I want to do this more than to go to Disney.
- Go to see Santa at Hamleys – my parents did this one year with us and it is one of my favourite Christmassy memories.
What are your Christmas traditions?