Buying furniture is one of the most interesting parts of designing a home. The problem is that it can also be a little daunting, especially if you’re new to the process.
From colours to materials and budget, there are so many things to consider that it can be hard to know where to start.
This beginner guide will help you figure out the basics of furniture shopping so that you can feel confident and secure when making your first purchase.
So, where do you start?
First, keep reading.
Furniture Shopping 101: A Beginner’s Guide
Determine your budget
You should evaluate your financial circumstances and determine how much you can comfortably spend on furniture. Look at your bank account, crunch some numbers, and determine what you can realistically afford.
But remember, just because you’re on a budget doesn’t mean you must sacrifice style or quality. There are plenty of options out there that won’t break the bank.
Budgeting isn’t exactly the most exciting part of furniture shopping. But think of it as laying the foundation for your shopping adventure. Once you know how much you can spend, you’ll have a clearer idea of what you can afford and where you can splurge a little.
Measure and plan your space
To ensure a proper fit, measure and plan your space before making any purchases.
Don’t be like those poor souls who end up with a couch too big for their living room or a bed that takes up the entire bedroom. You need to be smarter than that. Get your measuring tape ready, and let’s do this.
First, measure the dimensions of your room. You want to know exactly how much space you have to work with. Don’t forget to account for any weird angles or obstacles that might get in the way. Trust me, you don’t want to play a game of Tetris with your furniture.
Next, take note of any existing furniture or architectural features. Are there windows, doors, or outlets that you need to consider? What about radiators or vents? These things can impact where you can place your furniture.
Once you have all your measurements and notes, it’s time to start planning. Grab a pen and paper, or use one of those fancy design programs if you’re feeling tech-savvy.
Start sketching out different furniture arrangements and see what works best for your space.
Decide on your style
When deciding on a style for your space, think about how you want it to look and feel overall.
Do you like the idea of a traditional, classic vibe? Or are you more drawn to a modern, sleek look? You may be into a specific theme, like a cosy farmhouse or a beachy coastal vibe.
Whatever furniture style you choose, ensure it fits into your space and creates the desired atmosphere. Whether it’s a funny statement piece or a playful pattern, don’t be afraid to let your sense of style shine through.
Remember, there are no set rules when it comes to style. So have fun with it, and let your furniture choices put a smile on your face every time you walk into the room.
Research and compare
Use online resources and compare different furniture options to find the best fit for your style and budget. The internet is your best friend here, with many resources and online stores waiting to be explored.
For instance, Furniture Hunter is a website that makes browsing through different furniture brands and styles easy. You can read detailed product descriptions and compare prices from various online retailers. It’s like having your shopping assistant right at your fingertips!
When comparing furniture options, consider materials, durability, and warranties. You want to choose furniture that not only looks good but also lasts a long time.
Take note of any specific features or requirements you have, whether it’s a specific size or a particular colour. Ensure that the options you’re considering meet your needs.
So, get browsing and have fun finding the perfect furniture for your space!
Test and try out
You’ll want to ensure the furniture feels comfortable and sturdy before purchasing. Testing and trying out the furniture is a crucial step in the furniture shopping process. Sometimes, it’s not enough to simply rely on online reviews or recommendations from friends.
When you sit on a sofa, pay attention to how it feels. Does it provide adequate support? Is the cushioning too firm or too soft for your liking? A comfortable couch is essential for relaxing and enjoying your leisure time.
For mattresses, lie down and test the firmness. Don’t be afraid to spend a few minutes lying down and getting a feel for the mattress.
When it comes to drawers and cabinets, give them a good tug to ensure they’re sturdy. You want to avoid ending up with furniture that falls apart after a few uses. Check if the drawers glide smoothly and the cabinets open and close without issues.
But if you bought furniture online, choose one with warranties so you can always send it back if it has issues. Test the furniture as soon as it gets delivered to your doorstep.
Consider delivery and set up
If the store doesn’t offer delivery and set up services, consider the cost and whether it’s worth it to arrange it yourself.
Let’s face it: furniture shopping is no easy task. The process can be exhausting, from finding the perfect piece to hauling it home. But fear not, my friend, for options are available to ease your burden.
Before you start sweating buckets and straining your muscles, take a moment to evaluate the situation. Is the cost of delivery and set-up worth it?
Consider the dimensions and weight of your furnishing, as well as the distance to your home. If a massive sofa needs to be carried up three flights of stairs, you might want to seriously consider paying for delivery.
Trust me, your back will thank you. Plus, if you’re anything like me, you’ll probably end up scratching the walls and door frames.
Save yourself from the headache and let the pros take care of it. But hey, if you’re feeling adventurous and want to test your strength, go for it! Just make sure you have a friend or two to help out.
It’s time to address a crucial aspect of furniture shopping: don’t rush!
This may seem like common sense, but let’s face it: when you walk into a furniture store and see that super comfy sofa or that sleek dining table, it’s easy to get caught up in the moment and make an impulsive decision.
But remember, you’ll be living with this furniture for a while. So, it’s important to take your time and make sure you truly love it before making a purchase.
Sit on that sofa, test the chairs, and imagine how they’ll fit into your space. Don’t be afraid to ask the salesperson for more time to think or to come back another day.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I know if a piece of furniture will fit through my doorway or up my staircase?
Don’t stress about getting that new piece of furniture through your doorway or up the staircase. There’s a simple trick to make sure it fits. Just measure the height, width, and depth of both the furniture and the entryway. Then, compare the measurements. If the furniture is smaller than the doorway or staircase, you’re good to go. If it’s too big, consider alternative options or disassemble the furniture for easy transport.
How can I ensure that the furniture I choose is durable and long-lasting?
To ensure that the furniture you choose is durable and lasts a long time, here are some factors to consider:
- Quality of materials: Check the construction and materials used in the furniture’s frame and overall structure.
- Reputable brands and manufacturers: Research and choose furniture from well-known brands or manufacturers recognized for their quality, craftsmanship and durability.
- Construction techniques: Pay attention to the joinery methods used in the furniture’s construction.
- Weight and stability: Check if the furniture feels sturdy and stable. Heavier furniture tends to be more durable, indicating the use of solid and substantial materials.
- Finish and upholstery: Assess the finishes for upholstery’s durability on the furniture. For upholstery, check if the fabric is made from durable materials or is stain-resistant and easy to clean.
- Warranty and guarantee: Check if the furniture comes with a warranty or guarantee from the manufacturer.
- Try before you buy: Visit the furniture store to physically examine the furniture if possible.
What are some common mistakes to avoid when shopping for furniture?
When shopping for furniture, here are some common mistakes to avoid:
- Not measuring the space: One of the biggest mistakes people make is not measuring where they plan to place the furniture. Always measure the room and take note of any doorways, windows, or obstructions to ensure the furniture will fit properly.
- Ignoring functionality: Don’t just focus on the aesthetics of the furniture. Consider how you will use it and if it fits your lifestyle.
- Overlooking quality: While price is important, don’t compromise on quality. Cheap furniture may save you money initially, but it’s more likely to wear out quickly and need replacement sooner.
- Buying without trying: Ideally, you should try furniture before buying it. Sit on chairs, lie down on sofas, and test how drawers or doors open and close.
- Neglecting the existing décor: Consider your existing décor and style when shopping for furniture.
- Not considering delivery options: Before making a purchase, inquire about delivery options and costs.
- Failing to read reviews or check the return policy: Take the time to read reviews and testimonials about the furniture you’re interested in. Additionally, always check the return policy in case you change your mind or the furniture doesn’t meet your expectations.
So there you have it, dear novice furniture shopper. Armed with this beginner’s guide, you can confidently navigate the vast world of furniture shopping.
Remember to sway with the rhythm of your budget, let your measured steps guide you to the perfect fit, and dance to your own style.
Research, test, and compare like a virtuoso, and don’t forget to read the reviews and seek recommendations.
With patience and grace, you’ll find harmony in your furniture-shopping symphony.