My 2015 Blog Review
Happy New Year Everyone!
My blog is one that has been around for a while now. I originally started it up five years ago, blogged for a while and then stopped, the periodically came back and did a little more before leaving it to languish for a while. After giving up work in December 2013, I thought I would give it another go, but really struggled to find my voice and only published a handful of posts in 2014.
However, over that Christmas I really have it some thought and decided I wanted to focus and seriously start growing my blog. On the 2nd January I wrote A Crisis of Content, expressing how much I wanted to blog, but not knowing what to write. A few of you came to the rescue with your support and ideas and I decided to give it a whirl.
A year on, I am so pleased with my achievements and have really fallen in love with blogging. I’m not new to the blogging world, I have blogged for BookChickCity.com for nearly 6 years, but it is very different to own and grow your own blog.
My goal at first was originally to just blog once a week, this then moved to three days and by the end of the year has got to virtually every day.
My Top Ten Posts In the Last Year
- My Experience of a Cow’s Milk Protein Allergy Baby
- Maxi-Cosi Two Way Pearl Review
- Lovely Things Linky
- Children’s Book Review and Competition – Through the Fairy Door
- Coming to Terms with my Post Natal Body
- Yoshi Bookworm Handbag Review
- Motherhood, Careers and Feminism – Is There a Quiet Revolution Going On?
- I-Size New Car Seat Laws and Why Rear Facing Is Safer
- Five Children’s Foods and Drinks I Hate
- My Experience of Reactive Arthritis
Social Media Growth
I have focused on growing three social media channels on 2015. Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. I do have a Google+ and Pinterest page but they are most definitely under-potentialised and something I need to look at in 2016.
- Facebook – I launched my Facebook page in February 2015. I have grown it from 0 to 590 fans. I have actually found Facebook one of the hardest social media channels to grow and have found you have to pay for some of it.
- Twitter – I cannot get the exact figure my Twitter following was, but approximately 2.2k last year and as of December 5k (2.8k growth).
- Instagram – Again this is an approximate number, but approximately 240 last year and as of December 880 followers (640 growth).
- Bloglovin – from 0 to 100 followers.
My Blogging Highlights
- Being featured on Britmums and Mumsnet (twice).
- Hitting 415,000 all time page views this December.
- Hitting number 232 on the Tots100.
- Working with some amazing brands – Bluestone, Maxi-Cosi, Yoshi, (quite a few handbags in fact – woop!), actually so many fab things it’s hard to mention them all.
- Attending Blog on Win and Blogfest.
- Having my blog redesigned by Ellie Illustrates.
- Making some amazing blogging friends.
My 2016 Social Media Goals
I find setting goals really helpful as they help keep me focussed throughout the year. I want to match, if not beat the growth I have seen in 2015.
- Facebook – as this is the hardest to grow I will keep this goal modest – grow my fans to over 1000.
- Twitter – grow my followers by 3000 to 8000.
- Instagram – this is one I am going to set myself a bit of a stretch goal on. If I were to grow it by the same amount as this year my following would be 1500 by the end of 2016. But I am going to be touch on myself and set the goal of 2000.
- Pinterest – I have seen some bloggers say they get as much as 25% of their traffic from Pinterest and I really do not much with it at all.
My 2016 Blogging Goals
- Focus my content. 2015 has been about discovery and learning and now I want to focus it into concentrated areas of things I truly love to write and share about.
- Get some final elements designed for my blog. I couldn’t afford it all at once and it has been an evolution.
- Become a brand ambassador for a brand I love. Ideally this would be a handbag brand.
- Approach some brands – I have yet to do this and have been fortunate that pretty much all opportunities have come to my directly. But I think it’s time to get more proactive.
- I have started to earn some money from my blog and I hope that this will improve. I hope this will come by continually working on my blog and writing good content and growing my readership.
- Improve engagement and readership.
- Do more work to improve the SEO of my blog.
- More effectively manage my blog / life balance and make sure it is at the right level, even if this means not posting every day.
- Do a broken link check and start doing this regularly (I have never done this!)
- Grow my domain authority, it is currently 26, I would like to get this over 30.
- Write for some other publications to help grow my profile – like Britmums or Mumsnet or Babycentre would be amazing.
- And my all time ambition would be to write for The Huffington Post. I have submitted a couple of times, so I will keep trying an hopefully eventually it will happen.
What are your achievements of 2015 and goals for 2016?